My Blog

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Litter experimentation

I mentioned recently in a post that my cat Vester began a lovely habit of peeing in the litterbox and then stepping in it as he attempted to cover it up. Not knowing how to fix this I was just trying to keep the litterbox clean and brushing a lot of litter off of things. Well, today Mike and I went to get some more cat litter and I grabbed a couple bags without really reading the packaging. Oops! Instead of the traditional clumping cat litter I usually get, I picked up the clay version by mistake. (For those unfamiliar with cat litters, clumping is just that - it clumps the pees into, well, clumps, for easy scoopage. Clay lets it sift through to the bottom, and you scoop out the solid poos and dump the entire contents of the box once a week or so to get rid of the pee that sifted down.) Well, since I had already poured out the bag into the two litterboxes before I noticed it was a much lighter color and bigger pieces than I was expecting, I was like, "fuck it. We'll try clay." Vester peed in it almost as soon as I had emptied the bag, and after he was done, I glanced over - Voila! - Instead of the usual lake of not-yet-absorbed pee I am used to seeing, there was just a quarter-sized wet spot. No wet litter to step in and get stuck on his feet!! Yay!! I'm going to try the clay litter for a while, and use the other bag in a few days when I empty out the litterboxes, and maybe clean them really well while I'm at it. I might pick up some liners too, and save some cleaning time down the road. Hopefully this will take care of the feet litter problems, and not be a ginormous amount of work every week. Anyone use clay litter? Your thoughts? Your cats' thoughts?

2 Comments:

  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger Von said…

    My cat thinks you smell funny.

     
  • At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mom bitched at me today about the litterboxes. I told her we were trying new clay litter and she just was pissed about it, but didn't explain why she was pissed. Just got all frowny and harumphed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home